Timely, Strategic -As Risk Youth Project Gets Major Boost; UN Commit US$1.5m To Help Support The At- Risk Youth Program
The Government of Liberia through the Ministry of Youth and Sports is a said to be working tirelessly to ensure the execution of the At-Risk Youth Program.
On June 30, 2022, the government along with its partners launched a fund drive to help support the program.
The initiative is currently making some Significant strides with commitments been fulfilled thus far.
Already, President George Weah and The Government of Liberia made commitment of US$1m to support said most important initiative valued at US$13.9m during the launch of the program as a means of taking the first step for others to follow.
As evidence of leading the national effort which has now been buttressed by others including key partners, The United Nations has also made a commitment of $US 1.5m to help support the At-Risk Youth Program.
The latest commitment especially from key partner is a step in the right direction, said an official at the Ministry of Youth and Sports.
The UN’s move is not only timely but a strategic one which will send a clear message that the government is willing and ready to address the issue of At-Risk Youth, but said, effort will be done in a gradual process, she told our reporter on Friday, August 26, 2022.
The program when officially rolls out is expected to take At Risk Youth from the streets, help rehabilitate them, thereby making them marketable people in society.
It can be recalled that the Youth and Sports Minister D. Zeogar Wilson said the issue of At-Risk Youth is a serious concern for President George M. Weah and the government in general, and is working hard around the clock to address it.
With the latest commitment from the United Nations and the anticipated commitments to be fulfilled, the key national program appears to have a green light for execution in order to benefit the larger population that are also concerned about the increasing wave of At-Risk Youth across the Country.
In the same vein, the Chief Executive Officer of MANCO Manufacturing Company, Assad Raef Fadel made good his word by presenting a check of US$25,000 (25 thousand United States Dollar) to the National At-Risk-Youth Drive.
The presentation was made at the Ministry of Youth and Sports in Paynesville.
The 25,000 check was a promise made by Mr. Fadel at the launch of the program organized by the government of Liberia to raise some US$13.9 million to get At-RiskYouth commonly called Zogoes off the streets.
In a statement before the presentation of the check, Mr. Fadel said, “Today is the time we need to help the youth.”
According to him, the young people are the ones who will have the leadership of Liberia stating, “We should not neglect them. Any attempt to neglect them now, will ruin their lives and affect Liberia at large, this is the time.
“As the President said last week, “let’s save our youths.” I want to buttress his call to say, let’s save our youth now for a better Liberia” Fadel said.
The MANCO boss called on imams, pastors, prayer moms, grandmothers, fathers, mothers and aunts/uncles, coaches, teachers, business/government in and out of Liberia to join all them in reaching out not only to the at-risk but all of the young people who are thirsty for mentoring, leadership, the advice of right from wrong, to understand the trials and tribulations of life.
He said the World Bank, United Nations, and International Funds have always been there for Liberia but that is not enough added, “We, Liberian people as a whole black and white must stand together and work together for a generation of at-risk youth who only has known war and devastation and now has to face the reality of life with its daily challenges.”
“You win sometimes, you lose sometimes. As a coach, I always tell my players, when we win the glory goes to you when we lose, I take the blame”, he said.
He added that when youth are losing, be it to drug abuse, the ghettos, to dropping out of schools and colleges, hitting the streets for the hustle, “We are to take the blame, we, the leaders of the mosques, the churches, the mothers, the fathers, the teachers, coaches, the business, government leaders, are to take the blame.”
“A winning Child is a winning future” the MANCO boss said.
He praised President George Manneh Weah and Minister of Youth & Sports, Zeogar Wilson by saying, “I would like to extend my greetings and respect to President George M. Weah who is a Champion of Champions in all walks of life, and the Minister of Youth & Sports my dear and kind brother Zeogar Wilson for this great undertaking the At-Risk Youth Program that was launched at the Ministerial Complex.”
When the check was presented to Zeogar Wilson, the two posed for photos and in a brief remark, the Youth and Sports Minister said thanks to the MANCO boss for keeping his promise made.
He committed that the funds being collected will be used for the purpose intended for.
Minister Wilson also said, apart from the US$1m President Weah committed, discussions with partners of Liberia are ongoing.