LNP Clarifies Innis’ Death


-Says It’s ‘Hit & Run’ by Unknown Driver

By R. Joyclyn Wea

The Liberia National Police (LNP) has spoken out on the Central Bank of Liberia (CBL) official who was allegedly hit by an unknown vehicle at 2am in the 72nd SKD Boulevard Community on March 3, 2019.

Speaking at a press briefing in Monrovia over the weekend, the Deputy Police Inspector General for Crime Services Department (CSD), Prince B. Mulbah said the death of the CBL official, Matthew Innis, was a ‘hit and run incident’ that police are still investigating.

Deputy IG Mulbah said they are doing everything possible to investigate the matter properly and if anyone caught will be brought for prosecution.

According to Mulbah, there were two officers from that same area who went on the scene, but before their arrival, Matthew Innis was ‘helpless’ near his vehicle which the officers did not see the vehicle that allegedly hit him.

He also said, there were three eyewitnesses along with the two police officers who immediately placed Innis in his own vehicle and took him to the nearest clinic (Peace Home Clinic) in 72nd Community, but they were later advised to take him to ELWA Hospital.

Explaining during a press conference at the LNP headquarter, Mulbah explained that while at the ELWA Hospital, the officer who was at the scene said some family members, including Oldada Deshield, brother of the deceased; Esther Innis, sister, Victoria Deshield, sister in-law. Abel T. Washington, community Pastor and Joseph Simoke, arrived at the hospital and took the body to the Stryker Funeral Parlours.

Inspector Mulbah than urged the public to desist from making presumptive conclusions in ongoing cases which could undermine the outcome of police investigation.

This clarification is in apparent reaction to public suspicion that the Liberia National Police (LNP) hurriedly took the late Innis to the funeral home without medical examination following the tragic motor accident.

However, Matthew Farkollie, one of the eyewitnesses told the Global News Network earlier that about 2:30 early Sunday morning, he was in bed when he heard the sound of a vehicle outside, and later a lady in the “hit-and-run” car said “you have hit someone, let’s run.”

Farkollie, who claimed that his residence is closer to the accident scene, said after he came outdoors, he saw pieces of broken car lights on the ground, but clarified that he did not see the late CBL official Innis, noting that he saw other community dwellers who also rushed to the scene to see the accident victim

Comments are closed.